⚠ THIS IS A LONG BUT WORTH THE EFFORT READ
Some months back, I stumbled upon a short yet useful Instagram video on how to prepare Plantain and Egg Fritata. The video was made by Nigerian celebrated chef, Mrs. Noch.
For mince pies, Daily Mail takes the credit, they gave me the idea to try something new for the festive season. The online daily magazine wrote an article about the mince pie recipes of Buckingham Palace, and I thought why not, if not. So I put them all together (with a few tweaks) for my family’s Christmas day dinner and they turned out really neat.
P. S I am also going to share the Instagram video I used to learn and prep for the plantain and egg fritatta, so you should check it out too at the end of this post.
So let’s begin –
Ingredients for Plantain and Egg Frittata
For two servings-
1. 4 fingers of Plantain
2. 4 large eggs
3. Fresh tomatoes
4. Fresh pepper (red, green, yellow)
4. 2 balls of onions
5. Garlic clove
8. Seasoning cubes (Knor, Maggi or Royco)
9. Groundnut oil
10. Roundshaped baking pan.
Ingredients for Mince Pie
This is like my personal recipe. Although I followed the basic mince pie making procedure, I tweaked the filling and made use of what I had.
1. 3 cups of baking Flour
2. 1/2 cup of Sugar
3. 2 Eggs
4. 1/2 sachet of Butter
5. I spoon of Vanilla extract
6. 1/2 spoon of Baking Soda
7. 1/4 spoon of Salt
8. Nutmeg powder to taste
9. 1/2 cup of Evaporated milk
b. Green beans
c. Green Pepper
d. Sweet Corn
e. BAMA Mayonnaise
f. 1/2 kg Beef
The above lists are my ingredients for Plantain and Egg Frittata and Mince Pies. However, I made the mince pies first and while they were baking, I started the Plantain and Egg Frittata.
Preparation for Plantain and Egg Frittata
1. Peel and slice your plantain into round circles.
2. Wash and dice your tomatoes, onions, peppers.
3. Finely grind your garlic and ginger in a mortar.
4. Whisk your eggs in a bowl and set it aside.
5. Heat some cooking oil and fry the sliced the plantains until brown on each side.
6. Separate the fried plantain so that they don’t stick to each other and allow to cool.
7. Fry your fresh tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic and ginger, adding salt, curry, thyme and
seasoning cubes to taste.
8. When well cooked, allow the tomatoes sauce to cool for a few minutes.
9. Transfer the tomatoes sauce to a baking pan and spread it so that it is well distributed around
10. Pour the whisked eggs over the sauce and stir lightly. Again ensure the mixture is well
11. Place the fried plantains in neat rows on the mixture, press down lightly if you must. You
want all your plantain in the pan.
12. When this is done, transfer the pan to the oven and allow to bake for about 25 – 30 minutes.
The nice thing about this dish is that it doubles in size because of the eggs. I will like you to take note of the amount of oil you use because it can turn out to be too much when baking.
Preparation for Mince Pies
If you have made mince pies before, you can use your recipe and method here, and for those of us who have not or who want something new, try this. I think that the basic difference in pies are usually their fillings, i.e what is contained in each. Most recipes stressed beef, so I sort of went all out.
1. Spice and cook beef until tender.
2. Cut carrots, green beans, green pepper into small (cube) sizes.
3. Spice and lightly fry the vegetables until well cooked and allow to cool.
4. When cooked, cut your beef into small chewable sizes (canned minced meat is a good
5. Mix your carrots, greens, pepper and sweet corn with the minced beef and add in the BAMA
Mayonnaise with a little of the liquid evaporated milk.
6. Check the consistency of the mixture and the taste.
7. Prepare your dough mixing the flour, sugar, butter, eggs, salt, baking soda and milk together
until you get a good dough.
8. Place the dough on a board and roll. Prepare muffin tins or small cake tins and place the
dough in and around each tin until evenly distributed.
9. Fill each tin with adequate amounts of the prepared filling and seal each tin with a cut out
cover of dough.
10. Bake for about 30-40 minutes.
11. When the mince pies are done, place them on a rack to cool. (I dusted the pies with icing sugar)
I served the dish with Amstel Malt for everyone. I especially loved how the mince pies turned out. It was soft and delicious.
Let’s hear what you prepared for the holiday 🤗.